Guidance Generator

Developer
Jul 18, 2007 at 2:31 AM
Edited Jul 2, 2008 at 9:59 AM
The Guidance Generator creates the MSF-CMMI and MSF-Agile pages from an XML file. You can change the XML file to alter the content. It works much faster than the old MSFWinBuild tool.

This is an interim solution. Ultimately, it will be replaced by a more versatile system.
[edited 2008-07-02. Original statement said: "In 2008, it will be replaced ..."]

The Guidance Generator is largely a set of text templating files - that is, they are a mixture of C# and HTML, and use the VS SDK Text Templating Engine to generate the output. (There's a small utility that allows one template to generate many output files.)
Dec 1, 2007 at 4:47 PM
I actually created a new discussion and then I read this one... I had a question about what this "more versatile system" will be in 2008. Do you have any details about this?
Developer
Dec 4, 2007 at 7:02 PM
No dates yet, I'm afraid. However, we do plan to overhaul the guidance quite a lot; and to link to it much more from the tools.
Dec 5, 2007 at 12:16 PM
I'm just trying to get a sense for planning purposes what solution to use and not have to do a whole bunch of work again later whenever the "new system" gets released.

Thanks!
Jul 2, 2008 at 8:51 AM

I'm considering integrating the VSTS Process Guidance Generator into our software factory.
Can anyone update me on the status of it's replacement technology that was announced in below quote?

"However, it is an interim solution, and will be replaced in 2008. There will be a migration path from this solution to the new one."

Considering the date of the last entry here, I'm wondering whether this is still alive...

Thanks!

Developer
Jul 2, 2008 at 9:55 AM
The plans have been put back quite a bit and are under review. I now think there is unlikely to be any replacement this year.
Hope that helps.